In the middle of the heat, a winter blanket turns up!
When moving to our new place in New York in 2012, I started a new project of knitting a blanket from the pattern book “The Great American Afghan”.
Having enlarged the blanket with a couple of additional squares, I finally finished knitting it last year. This year has focused on knitting the squares together; weaving in all ends and finally knitting the border.
When it was a project of knitting small squares, it was very suitable for summer knitting. It happens now to be summer when I’m finally ready to knit the borders of the large blanket - so a bit of a hot job!
Instead of sewing the blanket together, I prefer to knit each square together, using the three-needle bind-off method. I find that the slim line of one colour between all the squares bind together well the blanket in the end.
For knitting the squares together, I had not calculated in all the end bits of yarn to attach. Back when knitting each square I had already woven in all yarn ends from the motives of each square with a few exceptions. Even having done all these bits, a lot more ends to weave in awaited me having assembled the blanket. It came to a total of 127 yarn bits. And I still have to weave in more ends on each of the four sides when I have knitted the full edge around the blanket.
I will be looking forward to this winter when I finally can snuggle up in my new cozy blanket.